Video Takeaway

Video Takeaway

by Shirly Coc -
Number of replies: 1

The talk was very informative and ‘eye-opening’. The first point that struck me was when she mentioned that everything we do is recorded online. When we think that we may be in the comfort of our homes and being private, these items are being recorded.

Secondly, before we upload or download we need to think how that information can impact us and how it can be interpreted by others. She mentioned that for the most part even schools and businesses are researching about potential students/employees before they are enrolled/hired. I must say that this is very vital for both teachers and our students to be aware of. Before I became a teacher I was working in HR, and I can attest to this statement as it was something we occasionally did even before we set an interview.  What we post online can definitely affect our future.

And lastly, once we understand what we are doing we can make better informed decisions as to how we search and what we search for. This definitely makes me reflect on my first month of being a teacher. I overheard the way how students referred to a teacher because of what she posted online and the way she dressed. This made me conscious of how serious what we post online affect the way of how students may view us.

In reply to Shirly Coc

Re: Video Takeaway

by Shakira Castellanos -

I can relate to what you are saying. Students are watching our post more than we may realize. When we first started distance learning back in March, our school used the Whatsapp platform as our teaching tool; so I had to store all my students' numbers. As soon as I post a status they would view and reply to it. When they sae me in public they would say "I know where you were on the weekend, Miss!". So I got to the point where I stopped posting family pictures and thoughts on my status and started posting only inspirational quotes for them.