Evaluating Online Information

Evaluating Online Information

by Pauline Gilharry -
Number of replies: 0

One issue and challenge with finding information online is determining whether the information is from a credible source. Many fake or false information is being shared and we need to take the time to dig a little deeper to ensure that the information is from a credible source. For example, fake information may result in a public scare, panic, and anxiety. Many people panicked when fake information was shared about the symptoms, prevention, and spreading of Covid-19.

At times it is hard to determine the trustworthiness of online information because the information is shared at a faster rate when it is fake or spark controversy. I am familiar with some sites that are fake, for example, I do not use any information retrieved or shared from Wikipedia especially for teaching resources. I normally would use Ebscohost as a credible database to do my research and share information. The most challenging thing I find with credible sources is that it comes with a cost. Fake information is free and easily accessible.   

Thank you

Pauline