Change Scenario - Mike

Change Scenario - Mike

by Florence Goldson -
Number of replies: 0

Mike's case for change is one that is responsive to technological opportunities, and geared towards the 21st century learner. Ocean Academy’s senior management would definitely support this approach, with tweaks to incorporate more “offline/offscreen” interactive time for students and teachers. Similarly while OA students would be excited about the digital upgrades, during this time of digital distance learning they have frequently expressed the desire for the in-person, in nature sessions that were pre-pandemic.

Without education reform, this case for change would deepen the divide between those who successfully navigate the educational system because of their proximity to power and their access to resources and those who do not. Equity in education is key for both Donna’s and Mike’s cases to truly be visionary. Furthermore a blend of the two cases would be a nice starting point. 

While I do appreciate Mike’s embracing of the technological possibilities that can take place in the education sector, I would advocate for a more balanced approach.  For instance blended learning at all levels (not just the first years), offline sessions, sessions in nature. I think his change scenario would be enhanced if it took a human-centered approach with social emotional learning as one of the pillars.