Evaluating online information

Evaluating online information

by Richard Sierra -
Number of replies: 0
It is becoming increasingly easy to find information about anything online.  Provided one has the requisite hardware, software and internet access, the world wide web offers easy access to a great wealth of information and this has not been the case in past human history.    This presents a major challenge for users to determine which platform to use and whether the information is in fact reliable and accurate. 

My primary concerns with the platforms that I use are primarily regarding privacy.  My online activities and location are being tracked because my accounts are on my laptop, desktop, and mobile device.  Integration of my accounts into windows, android and IOS have made my daily life routines easy to automate.  My productivity has been improved by this integration and I can easily access work and personal files wherever I am.  This deep integration of my online accounts into something as basic as taking a trip to the supermarket has an impact on my digital footprint.  Various apps have pushed notifications to “check in” or rate a place of business, or even recommend activities based on my current location. 

Secondly, evaluating online information is critical in today's world.  It is increasingly easy for you to receive unsolicited emails, and messages from people/sources who may not be as legitimate as they claim to be.  A typical example that comes to mind is the rampant misinformation of the American Electoral results.  There is simply so much information being put out that it can be difficult to categorize them as facts, conspiracy theories, alternative facts, fake news, or simply misinformation intended to cause distrust and harm in a democratic process.  This is where I believe that one’s own biases need to be kept in check to ensure that catchy headlines meant to play into your preconceived notions do not become the smoking gun that validates your ideas. Click bait, social engineering and online forums are often being used to drive a point that is often intended to steer people into assimilating one idea.   I agree with Pauline Gilharry when she says that “at times it is hard to determine the trustworthiness of online information because the information is shared at a faster rate when it is fake or spark controversy”.  It is therefore up to the individual to be as unbiased and open minded as possible to look at the facts/arguments from multiple trusted sources before championing an idea and acting out on it.