Final Reflection

Final Reflection

by Victor Miranda -
Number of replies: 0

Victor Miranda

Final Reflection on C-Delta Training

Previous to the C-Delta training I identified myself as a school leader and an IT manager separately. I was oblivious to the need for a union of both roles. The C-Delta training enabled me to identify my digital footprints and my role as a digital education leader. Through the process of "googling myself" I realised that I have little presence online. In fact, I was able to conclude that my impact in Belize's education system is minimal. My online presence reflects my personality. I often keep to myself and therefore my expertise and experience is only made available to a small circle. I now see the importance of widening my circle and working hand-in-hand with other digital education leaders to have a more expansive role in the Belizean education system.   

The sudden push for distance learning credited to the onset of the pandemic forced my school to engage fully in the online world. As the technology manager, I was asked to provide a series of trainings and tools that would aid in the delivery of lessons. During that time I was not clear as to what tools were important or needed. Therefore, I selected a series of popular technologies that could be of use to the teachers. However, I now see through the impact of this C-Delta training that I did not engage all the stakeholders and I failed to select technology based on need and functionality. I embraced Mike's approach rather than Donna's approach as seen on the change scenarios during week 2. Thankfully, I'm now fully aware of my role as a digital education leader and I have made the necessary recommendations to the teaching staff. 

Post the C-Delta training I have committed to make the following changes:

(1) Make recommendations based on the current needs of students based on the level of accessibility to internet and devices. I have prepared a survey that can be updated by students via an online platform. This will enable students to specify the type and quality of their internet access, and primary device. The survey will in turn allow teachers to select online tools and websites that are appropriate to their set of students.  

(2) Add a topic to the Information Technology curriculum on online safety and digital footprints. With the new addition, I hope to impact student's view on what they post and share online. Its important for me to impart my acquired knowledge to both students and teachers. 

(3) Provide teachers with training in the areas of open source resources and the copyright implications of online resources. The are of copyright is often overlooked and we can find ourselves not utilising the bank of resources online and also using resources of which we don't have the permission.  

(4)Networking: I now see the vast possibilities and advantages that networking with other DEL's in Belize can have on my ability to lead my school in the digital arena. I was not networking pre the c-delta training and post c-delta I'm fully motivated and willing to network with other DELs.  

(5) One big positive aspect that I was doing and has been reasserted by the C-Delta training is to keep a professional and moral online footprint. I will continue to remain professional in what I post and share. I will also make links with other DELs with the main goal to impact others outside my immediate circle. 

To conclude, I would like express my gratitude to all those who were involved in the preparation, organising and delivery of this training. Its often the case that trainings do not impact me. However, I can honestly say that I will make major improvements in my digital outlook based on the content delivered during the C-delta training. In fact, I'm currently preparing a proposal to amend the current IT curriculum to ensure student's are made fully aware of their digital footprints and its potential negative or positive impact in their future.