Digital Tool/Resource

Digital Tool/Resource

by Denesha Grant -
Number of replies: 0

The tool I selected is: Understand the basics of code (https://learndigital.withgoogle.com/digitalskills/course/basics-code)

I selected this resource as I am an Information Technology teacher and I am tasked with teaching students about computer programming. This would thus be a beneficial tool in having my students understand the importance of coding and the basic terminologies it uses.

Evaluation of tool:

1. Authority - The author of this course is Google. Through this short course, they intend to introduce basic programming terms and concepts to the audience.
  2. Purpose - The resource was selected to introduce and assess 12th grade students to basic programming terms and concepts. 
  3. Publication & format - The resource was published online at https://learndigital.withgoogle.com/digitalskills/course/basics-code. It is presented in the form of an online guide/simulation where students are provided with reference material and are assessed to see their understanding of the different concepts.
  4. Relevance - It is certainly relevant to my search as I had been recently looking for sites and applications which would have my studies undergo an online simulation similar to this. I wanted a fun medium where students would be introduced to key concepts in a different approach than the usually slides and video explanations. This short course allows students to learn the content at their own pace and even tracks their progress.
  5. Date of publication - I could not find any info on the date of publication.
  6. Documentation - There was no documentation of references found in the online course.

Looking at the key points mentioned in my evaluation, I would certainly use this tool within my lessons as I believe that it is both content rich and relevant and appropriate for the types of learners I have within my classes. This is definitely a resource that I will share with my colleagues as I believe that they can find resources and tools appropriate for their particular subject areas.