Stimulate a good discussion forum

Number of replies: 35

In your experience, what needs to be in place for online course participants to actively participate in a good argument? How would you do this online? Brainstorm your ideas with your colleagues here. Reply to their posts. 

(Note: This discussion contributes to the course completion statistics. In order to complete the task you need to post at least once and reply to at least two of your peers' posts.)

In reply to First post

Re: Stimulate a good discussion forum

by Margaret Ngugi -
In my opinion, they should have good knowledge of the subject being discussed and also be in a position to articulate their issues well.
In addition, if the students know that they will be graded for participating, they are most likely participate .
In reply to Margaret Ngugi

by Dr Peninah Tanui Melly -
For sure, learners must understand the subject content before engaging in any online discussion. Ideally, one cannot discuss what they do not know in the first place. Moreover, grading of online discussions will command 100% participation.

by Albert Wanjala Mwongula -
I support, understanding the course content is paramount for the learners to connect the discussion questions and equally contribute on the forum. Learners knowing that the discussion will contribute to the final assessment, they cannot afford to keep off the discussion forums.
In reply to Albert Wanjala Mwongula

by Michael Murimi Njue -
i support the aspect of learners able to know and engage in discussion,

by Charles Omoga -
I agree with the comment that understanding the course content is paramount for learners to connect the discussion questions and equally contribute on the forum. When learners have a good understanding of the course content, they are able to think more critically about the discussion questions and to develop more informed and insightful responses. They are also able to build on each other's ideas and to engage in more meaningful dialogue.

Making the discussion forum a part of the final assessment is a good way to motivate learners to participate. When learners know that their participation will count towards their final grade, they are more likely to take the forum seriously and to contribute high-quality posts.

However, it is important to note that simply making the discussion forum a part of the final assessment is not enough to ensure that learners are actively engaged and learning from the discussion. It is also important to create a discussion forum environment that is supportive and inclusive, where learners feel comfortable sharing their ideas and opinions.

by Dr. Morris M. Mwatu -
I agree, its important for learners to know that they will be gradded
In reply to First post

by Dr Peninah Tanui Melly -
What needs to be in place for online course participants to actively participate in a good argument?
- By posting in the discussion forums higher level (application, analysis, synthesis and evaluation) rather than lower level (knowledge and comprehension) questions as given in the Bloom’s Taxonomy. This will lead to deeper discussions by the participants.
- Grading of the discussion forums with a rubric that will give a guide on what is required.
How would you do this online?
- Waiting before replying to a student so as to give others in class a chance to respond. However if need be, you can address the student in private via email.
- Have students post their initial responses to the reading to you in private through the journal tools before participating in the discussion. It gives them a chance to collect their thoughts and practice before engaging their peers for discussion.
- Divide the class into discussion groups so as to reduce the cognitive load and increase discussion, this is because each student is required to make original post and make at least 2 replies.
- Create forum with discussion prompt and allow students create their own threads or topics.
In reply to Dr Peninah Tanui Melly

The discussion questions should be open-ended as they will prompt longer, more invested short answer test responses and grading the discussion will stimulate active participation in the forum.

by Michael Murimi Njue -
I buy your idea on higher-level discussions for deeper synthesis and analysis as guided by Bloom's taxonomy.

by Charles Omoga -
What needs to be in place for online course participants to actively participate in a good argument?
- By posting in the discussion forums higher level (application, analysis, synthesis and evaluation) rather than lower level (knowledge and comprehension) questions as given in the Bloom’s Taxonomy. This will lead to deeper discussions by the participants.
- Grading of the discussion forums with a rubric that will give a guide on what is required.
How would you do this online?
- Waiting before replying to a student so as to give others in class a chance to respond. However if need be, you can address the student in private via email.
- Have students post their initial responses to the reading to you in private through the journal tools before participating in the discussion. It gives them a chance to collect their thoughts and practice before engaging their peers for discussion.
- Divide the class into discussion groups so as to reduce the cognitive load and increase discussion, this is because each student is required to make original post and make at least 2 replies.
- Create forum with discussion prompt and allow students create their own threads or topics.

Evaluation:

I would mark the text you provided with a 9/10. It is well-written and informative, and it provides concrete and actionable advice on how to facilitate active participation in online course arguments.

The criteria I used to evaluate the text were:

Relevance: The text is relevant to the topic of online course participation, and it specifically addresses the question of what needs to be in place for participants to actively participate in a good argument.
Accuracy: The text is accurate and factually correct.
Completeness: The text provides a comprehensive overview of the topic, and it covers all of the essential elements of active participation in online course arguments.
Clarity: The text is written in a clear and concise style, and it is easy to understand.
Engagement: The text is engaging and interesting to read.
The text provided meets all of these criteria. It is relevant, accurate, complete, clear, and engaging
In reply to First post

Personally, i would utilize small groups of between 3-5 learners to ensure everyone contributes hence improving an individual's engagement levels and employ a variety of lesson activities which include multimedia, such as games and video; Use audio files, discussion boards, video chat sessions, and instant messaging which will keep the learners actively engaged. In addition, Let learners know that you're paying attention and care about what they contribute by turning their discussion topics into questions in their assessments such as quizzes, end of semester exams hence will not take anything for granted. Lastly, Comprehensive and insightful feedback will give learners basis to grow on and motivate them to remain engaged.

by Michael Murimi Njue -
i buy this idea of small learning groups, this ensures that learners are fully focused and engaged

by Margaret Ngugi -
sure smaller groups encourage deeper and meaningful interaction
In reply to First post

by Michael Murimi Njue -
A sound knowledge base on the content in the platform is key, it is able to stimulate health discussions.
as a facilitator, I can couple my content by attaching photos, Images, Videos, Tweets, and Links, to my content
further ensuring that I have read all the Posts from my learners; responding to learners promptly and with questions where possible, doing affirmations and giving feedback, asking questions, and Challenging my learners to think; where discussions are Lagging I may be forced to re-framing the questions. this way my learners will participate and bring life to the discussions.
In reply to Michael Murimi Njue

by Charles Omoga -
Your post is well-written and informative. I especially like your emphasis on the importance of having a sound knowledge base on the content in the platform and on creating an engaging learning environment for your learners.
In reply to Michael Murimi Njue

by Margaret Ngugi -
reframing questions indeed helps learners understand better so that they can participate effectively.
In reply to First post

by Bostley Asenahabi -
To stimulate a good discussion forum, the facilitator has to pose questions, guide the discussions and inform the learners that their participation will be graded
In reply to First post

by Dr. Morris M. Mwatu -
Students should stick to the topic of discussion and be encouraged to reply to one another's posts. Good knowledge of the subject area by students is also important
In reply to Dr. Morris M. Mwatu

by Arnety Makokha -
True. This therefore implies, there is need for ground rules and moderator before the engagement.

by Bostley Asenahabi -
I concur with you, the learners need to study the content and understand it first before posting in the forum

by Gladys Ogaro -
True. Any digression from the topic will lose the direction of discussion
In reply to First post

by Charles Omoga -
Based on my experience and discussions with colleagues, here are some key requirements for active participation in online course arguments:

Clear instructions and expectations. Students should have a clear understanding of what is expected of them in terms of participation in online arguments. This includes understanding the purpose of the argument, the topics that are up for debate, and the criteria for a good argument.
A safe and supportive environment. Students need to feel safe and comfortable sharing their ideas and opinions, even if they are unpopular or controversial. This means creating an environment where everyone is respected and where different perspectives are valued.
Opportunities to practice. Students need opportunities to practice arguing online before they are expected to engage in high-stakes arguments. This can be done through low-stakes activities, such as discussion forums or role-playing exercises.
Feedback and scaffolding. Students need feedback on their participation in online arguments. This feedback can help them to improve their skills and to develop a deeper understanding of the topics that are being debated.
Strategies for Promoting Active Participation in Online Arguments

Here are some specific strategies that educators can use to promote active participation in online arguments:

Use asynchronous discussion forums. Asynchronous discussion forums allow students to participate at their own pace and to reflect on their responses before posting. This can help to create a more thoughtful and respectful discussion environment.
Pose open-ended questions. Open-ended questions require students to think critically and to develop their own arguments. They also invite different perspectives and encourage discussion.
Encourage students to build on each other's ideas. When students respond to each other's posts, they are able to build on each other's ideas and to develop more sophisticated arguments. Educators can encourage this behavior by asking students to respond to each other's posts and by highlighting examples of good discourse.
Provide feedback and scaffolding. Educators can provide feedback and scaffolding to students by commenting on their posts, asking clarifying questions, and suggesting resources. This can help students to improve their skills and to develop a deeper understanding of the topics that are being debated.
In reply to Charles Omoga

by Arnety Makokha -
Agreed that with clear topics and expectations, students can participate actively in the online arguments
In reply to Charles Omoga

by Margaret Ngugi -
very elaborate post. indeed creating a safe online environment is sure to work. where one can participate without fear or intimidation. This ensures even the shy students have their ideas and opinions seen and noted.
In reply to First post

by Arnety Makokha -
Creating an environment where online course participants can actively participate in a good argument requires careful planning and facilitation. In my opinion strategies include:

Clear Guidelines and Expectations:
Establish clear guidelines for respectful and constructive communication. Emphasize the importance of civility and listening to others' perspectives.
Communicate the expectations for active participation and how arguments should be framed within the context of the course.

Well-Defined Topics:
Choose topics for discussion that are relevant, interesting, and open to interpretation. Controversial topics often generate more engagement.

Moderator or Facilitator:
Assign a moderator or facilitator to guide discussions, maintain order, and intervene when necessary to steer conversations back on track or address inappropriate behavior.

Diverse Perspectives:
Encourage a diverse range of perspectives. Make it clear that different viewpoints are welcome and valued.

Ground Rules:
Establish ground rules for argumentation, such as avoiding personal attacks, using evidence to support claims, and focusing on the topic at hand.
In reply to Arnety Makokha

by Margaret Ngugi -
Sure having ground rules or virtual etiquette enables the class have respect for one another regardless of age, religion, social class or literacy levels which is an important component for a successful running of an online class

by Kelvin Juma -
Quite an elaborate discussion here, i totally agree that knowledge on the topic is needed , setting expectation is also paramount and coming up with the ground rules of engagement is also very useful. i would also suggest that besides the concepts, a facilitator can also use specific cases to stimulate the students minds and views in ways that directly require them to think broadly and they will offer give their thoughs in ways that will open up room for more discussions. This cases or tutorial problems can be superb way of having them explore the many facets of the issues under discussion hence stimulating the discussion
In reply to Arnety Makokha

by Gladys Ogaro -
These are great guidelines to ensure active participation in the discussion forum. The point on diverse perspectives can be enhanced by tying it to life experiences or previous knowledge
In reply to First post

by Barbara Khavugwi Makhaya -
Dear Team,
Thank you for your active participation in this discussion. Below is a summary of key points that emerged from the forum posts:
1. Have good knowledge of the subject being discussed so that you have well-defined topics
2. Grading the discussions with a rubric that will guide on what is required
3.Discussion forum environment that is supportive and inclusive, supports diverse perspectives and sets ground rules. Sometimes assign a facilitator or moderator among the learners
4.Clear instructions/ guidelines and expectations
5.Higher-level (application, analysis, synthesis and evaluation) rather than lower-level (knowledge and comprehension) discussion questions
6.Waiting before replying to a student so as to give others in class a chance to respond.
7.Where necessary address the student in private via email or personal messages on the LMS
8.Sometimes allow students to collect their thoughts and practice before engaging their peers for discussion.
9.Utilize groups, divide the class into discussion groups so as to reduce the cognitive load and increase discussion, this is because each student is required to make an original post and make replies to others
10.Let learners know that you're paying attention and care about what they contribute by turning their discussion topics into questions for further discussion
11.Responding to learners promptly and with questions where possible, doing affirmations and giving feedback, asking questions, and challenging my learners to think; where discussions are Lagging, I may be forced to re-frame the questions. this way my learners will participate and bring life to the discussions.

Note:
The grading criteria:
1. Relevance of the post (Makes strong connection to the topic under discussion) ((Excellent (40-36), Good (35-26), Fair (25-20), poor (0))
2. Quality of the post (Thoughtful, refelctive, respectful to others etc) ((Excellent (30-26), Good (25-20), Fair (19-10), poor (0-9))
3. Contribution to the learning community (Presents creative approaches to the topic) (Excellent (20-11), Good (10-4), Fair (5-1), poor (0))
4. Mechanics (free of gramatical, punctuation and spelling errors ) (Excellent (10-8), Good (7-6), Fair (5-3), poor (2-0))
In reply to First post

by Gladys Ogaro -
In order to participate actively in an online discussion forum, the learner should have prior knowledge of the topic to be discussed. This can be done by giving the learners a task before hand to research on as they relate with their real life experiences