Experience with online (re)Searching

Experience with online (re)Searching

by Edna Flowers -
Number of replies: 0

People often rely on the internet to obtain information, however that information available is easily manipulated; therefore seeking cues to determine its trustworthiness is essential. 

Many times one can encounter fraudulent or misleading information on various social media platforms. Often, these types of information have a sole purpose of propaganda and revenue generation. As consumers, we often fail to do further research to find out the credibility of the source of information or we may simply be unaware of 'trusted sites.' 

Playing the game "Factitious" was quite fun and provided me with a great insight about key words or key sources of information to look for in determining the credibility of information. It was not an easy task to just trust my instincts and spot fake news. 

While conducting the digital identity investigation, I searched Google, LinkedIn, Facebook, and the individual's work website to verify information provided. In each site I learnt a little more about the digital leader. Since all the information coincided, I decided to document his digital identity, using his digital footprint.