Final Reflection

Final Reflection

by Gloria Coc -
Number of replies: 0

The DEL training has opened my mind to the world of digital technology to a new level and all the aspects it encompasses.   I am very cautious now about my digital identity and digital footprints as I move forward. I understand that I have so much more to learn but being the lead teacher, I will continue to explore and be a pioneer in introducing online learning at our institution. During the discussion sessions, I just had to make notes of apps that teachers are already using.  I want to plan lessons that would be fun and interactive for my students. 

Three goals I will do as a DEL 

1. Train teachers on the importance of digital identity and digital footprints.

It is important to protect our teachers identity online to ensure that our careers cannot be compromised later on.  Bring awareness on how you can use the internet but screen your friends and other links you may want to open. Once they are more knowledgeable about the digital learning they can become other trainer for our students.  We want to build a community where we try our best to safeguard our students from cyber bullying.  

2. Have teacher explore 2 apps that can enhance students learning and engagement.

The discussions brought about a lot of interesting apps that can be so useful for our teachers and students alike.  I had no knowledge of these apps because we are still heavily dependent on paper based learning.  However, since our first and last year high school students now have access to tablets, this will be a great tool.  Therefore, I want to encourage our teachers to use apps such as kahoot, flipgrip, and eportfolios for starters.  I also realize that different subjects may require different apps.  I think the idea to allow them to explore and be comfortable with it.

3. Have teachers plan a lesson and start to use google classroom

Unless we start to use a certain platform we will know if we can commence online learning next school year 2021.   Since we got a basic training in google classroom in September 2020, I would like that teachers start to plan a lesson so that we can eventually start to use it.  There is a difference in just uploading videos and then uploading worksheets for our students.  I don't think this method is effective.  I would want to see that our teachers can engage students and make their lessons interactive.  

Two things I will change in my practice

1. Always check the source of my information to ensure the validity of it and to teach my students how to use search engines better. Often times students get frustrated by not getting the correct information for their assignments or projects.  I believe that I need to practice it so that it will have a trickle down effect.  I learned that I need to use quotation marks so that my search can be narrowed down. 

2. Screen my friends on social media and do not open links that may be unfamiliar because it can leave my digital footprints there.  As an educator I need to lead by example.  The trail that I create can be endless.  Ensure that students learn that their footprints created today can possible limit their opportunities in the future.

One thing you are going to keep doing  

1.  I will continue to bring awareness among my family, friends and my work colleagues of the impacts of digital identity and digital footprints.  This is a new way for us to be located or tracked down in the future. We need to guard ourselves of identity theft or even cyber bullying.  I believe that I can empower more people and we can continue to build a healthy digital community.  Besides our children are most vulnerable to different negative impacts and it is our job to do our best to protect them.  I love the phrase "Each one, teach one". The onus lies squarely on me for now so I must ignite the flames so that I can start by teaching young children in my community.